The Week: 4/29-5/5
By Jerk Mag Web Staff Finals are in full swing! Take a study break and catch up on the highlights for this week:
- If you’re watching the first round of the NBA Playoffs this weekend, take a good look at the jerseys because their current design may be a thing of the past. The NBA is considering putting advertisements on individual player’s jerseys.
- And you think your mom is bad? A mother took to Facebook this week to publically embarrass her daughter for mouthing off to her. Take a look…
- Got a case of the muchies? A new eatery in Oregon has begun infusing their food with marijuana extract. Dig in!
- Scientists have begun developing supercomputer technology to power automobile engines, leading to a 40 percent decrease in carbon emissions.
- Keep your eyes pointed skyward this weekend to catch a glimpse of the “Supermoon.” Astronomers say it will be the largest moon in years.
- In your irrelevant news for the week: Nadya “Octomom” Suleman has filed for bankruptcy and says she is now willing to do porn. Porn companies have reportedly offered her a multi-million dollar contract.
- Your weird news for the week: A NJ mother has been arrested and charged with child endangerment after allowing her 5 year-old daughter to use a stand-up tanning booth. The child allegedly suffered severe burns.
- Harvard and MIT have announced a joint collaboration to offer free online courses to anyone around the world. The project, termed edX, will be available to anyone with a viable Internet connection.
- Marking the one-year anniversary of his death, the CIA released the private correspondence of Osama bin Laden. The trove of over 6,000 documents shows the weak al-Qaeda leader struggling to maintain control while in hiding.
- In health news this week, a new study reveals that eating Omega-3 fatty acids may reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer’s Disease.
- May the Fourth be with you: Hold on to those light sabers, kids! Today marks International Star Wars Day. Nerds of the world, unite!
- PepsiCo announced that Michael Jackson will adorn the sides of Pepsi cans for a limited time. The King of Pop’s image will be a part of the company’s “Live for it Now” campaign, which will take a look back at the icons of the future.