10 Big Things That Happened At New York Fashion Week
While we were holed up in our rooms hiding from the tundra-like weather this past week, designers, editors, celebrities, and other fashion folk gathered in New York City for another season of fashion week. They got all dolled up, complained about the cold, took tons of pictures and wrote all about it. For those who didn’t follow the madness, here are 10 things you need to know about the Fall 2015 shows.
1. The dress. Internet breakdown 2.0, and this time, it had nothing to do with photos of a Kardashian. Instead, the online world went crazy for Zac Posen’s finale dress. If you have an Instagram, you’ve probably seen it. Think huge, glittery, crimson ball gown walked by a stunning Naomi Campbell.
2. The baby drama. Poor, poor fashion editors who got stuck in the second row while a crying 2-year-old stole one of the best seats. North West was present at fashion week this year, seated next to Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour, and throwing one hell of a tantrum. Anna wasn’t pleased, while the world was still left wondering how a baby is more fashionable than them.
3. The slip-pery slope. Those silky lace slips that everyone wore circa 2001 were back at rag & bone. Now is the time we all freak out about what other 2000s trends might resurface #SOS.
4. The street style. Of course the streets of fashion week are always packed with the most stylish editors, famous bloggers, ordinary folk pretending to be famous bloggers, etc., etc. This season, the street style game was on point, and it was all about the coats. They wore fur, bright colors, cool shapes, and probably frostbite after a few hours of hanging around waiting (trying) to be photographed.
5. The sequins. Things were looking rather shimmery at Rodarte, J. Crew, Naeem Khan, and several other shows this season... Time to break out our old BeDazzlers.
6. The debut. When the legendary Oscar de la Renta passed away this past October, we wondered how anyone would have the talent to live up to his name. Enter Peter Copping, the designer who was crowned creative director at Oscar right before de la Renta’s death. Copping’s first collection was flawless, capturing the spirit of Oscar while adding his own aesthetic. While no one will replace de la Renta, Copping proved to everyone that he’s ready to carry on the legacy.
7. The Kanye debate. Mr. West had his debut fashion show with Adidas Originals last week, and it involved lots of flesh-colored bodysuits and sparked a bit of debate. Fashion week creator Fern Mallis was unimpressed, so of course, Kanye took it to Twitter to respond to the criticism.
8. The nakedness. It’s called Fashion Week for the outfits, but there were fewer clothes than expected. Marc Jacobs, Alexander Wang, Reem Acra, and Diane von Furstenberg all had cheeky shows, while MT Costello sent his model down the runway with an open robe and instructions to drop that robe on the walk back.
9. The hippies. If there were one overarching trend for Fall 2015, it would be the ‘70s look. Flare pants, brown suede, those leather boots and that fringe.
10. The Jimmy Kimmel thing. Last year, he tested people outside fashion week with fake designer names. This year, he brought back the fashion humor by playing a game with his audience and making them guess which runway looks were real and which were photoshopped. You will definitely want to YouTube this.