Similarities and Differences Between Scream Queens' Kappa Kappa Tau and SU Sororities
https://instagram.com/p/8CAWFZGuCL/?taken-by=screamqueensfox Last week's premiere of the new Fox horror-drama, Scream Queens, was full of blood, bitchiness, and a whole lot of prolonged screaming.
The show was packed with teen-idol stars such as Emma Roberts, Keke Palmer, Ariana Grande, and Nick Jonas. But unfortunately, the promise of a five-star cast proved to be a hoax when most of the famous celebrities were killed off in the first episode.
Watching a two-hour premiere of a show based on Greek life (and murder) gets you thinking about what sororities and fraternities are really like. Obviously most sororities don’t have a history of losing their new members to a masked red devil running around campus trying to kill their sisters. But despite the blood and guts, sorority girls everywhere may be able to relate to the girls of Scream Queens’ Kappa Kappa Tau.
Here are some similarities between Screem Queen’s and real deal sorority sisters.
- Every good sorority girl knows nothing ruins the mood more than someone vomiting or getting too "messy" at a frat party. In the case of Scream Queens case, people ending up covered in blood after giving birth in a bathtub kind of kills the vibe.
- Everybody has that one song they just have to jam to when it comes on at a frat party. For those in 1995 it was TLC’s “Chasing Waterfalls.” Today they are most likely on an elevated surface screaming “What Do You Mean” by Justin Bieber.
- Pumpkin Spice lattes are crack for women in Greek life. The girls of Scream Queens are no different… Pumpkin Spice runs through their veins.
- Social media dominates all. Whether you’re at a party, philanthropy, or in class... you must tweet about it (or it didn’t happen).
- It doesn’t matter if one of your sisters is in the same room as you, you will choose to have an entire conversation via text rather than face-to-face.
- Secrets are what bind sisters together. From little white lies to ship sinking secrets, your sisters will bring your secrets to the grave.
- Pop culture references are used 24/7, so don’t find it odd if one of your littles starts calling you “mom.”
- Everyone has watched Friends and references it in as many conversations as possible.
- It’s 2015 and that means no one knows what the yellow pages are.
…. And then there are scenarios in Scream Queens that no one in a sorority (or on the planet) could possibly have experienced.
- Hazing involves the act of burying your sisters in the ground and being run over by a lawnmower. Moving dead bodies is also a must.
- One of your sisters knows exactly how to dispose of a dead body. (For your sake they better just be really into Law & Order SVU).
- Sorority girls may like to text, but they draw the line at texting their potential killer while they’re in the same room as them.
- Updating your status as someone is trying to kill you has nothing to do with being in a sorority, that is just being plain stupid.
- You don’t usually have to slap yourself when entering one of your sisters’ rooms unannounced.
- Not every sorority girl wants to be a news anchor or in the media.
- You may see your housekeeper cleaning the toilets or vacuuming, but you should never witness their face peeling off. That’s not the type of face peel that cleans your pores.
- We know the freshmen fifteen can be tough to adjust to, but most won’t confuse someone with a food baby with an actual pregnant person (I hope).
I can appreciate how Scream Queens draws on the bonds between sorority girls, but Rush Week is not supposed to be this deadly. Future new members, just know that compared to the sisters of Kappa Kappa Tau, you’ll have it so much easier.